Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:31:00 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: OEM vs Aftermarket  -- WAS: where is the best buy for drums
              and              rotors?
Comments: To: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM>

If you take a look around Chief Auto Supply and some of the other FLAPS stores you'll see lots of boxes marked OEM. This is a registered trade name for an import group that imports everything from Anit Freeze to Light Bulbs. It's possible the imports include other hard parts as well. I bought a distributor cap for an 83 Ford 302 V8 and it said OEM on the blue and red box. The part actually said Wells on it. So OEM can mean several things to different people. In addition ATE can come from Austria, Germany, Brazil, Mexico or any other nation that has produced VW parts as subcontractor on that particular casting or complete part over the last 50+ years of VW production. As stated sometimes the casting will have the VW or Audi symbol ground off to allow bulk castings to be sold into the aftermarket. In some cases these are fraud parts that were never purchased from the selling entity by VW but they make the high volume part now because they bought the tooling when it became too poor for mass production or the foundry / factory folded. I've had several Bosch alternators new from Brazil and several front wheel bearing sets from Austria. (Not complaining, just stating that it only needs 50% value or often less if it's part of the Caribbean Basin Agreement to NAFTA to be declared a product of that nation.)

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeffrey Schwaia" <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 3:02 PM Subject: OEM vs Aftermarket -- WAS: where is the best buy for drums and rotors?

> Funny thing about some of the aftermarket parts: if you look closely, you > see where the VW symbol has been ground off or covered up somehow. > Basically, it is a OEM part that has been defaced for non-OEM sales. > > Cheers, > > Jeff > www.vanagonparts.com > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.8 - Release Date: 2/14/2005 > >

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.8 - Release Date: 2/14/2005