Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:01:32 -0800
From:         JD Foster <jidd@JIDDWARE.COM>
Subject:      FS: Clean '86 Westy (Near Yosemite NP, CA)

Well, unfortunately circumstances have made it clear that we need to sell our Westy.

First of all, this is a *very* clean Westy. We bought it a little over a year ago, but due to an unexpected move, job changes and just life in general we haven't had the opportunity to enjoy it the way we had intended. Hopefully someone on the list can give it a happy home with lots of camping trips.

In addition to what is below (mostly info from the PO's writeup, simply updated to be more current) , I've replaced the submersible domestic water pump and lines, put new bilstein shocks on the front end, fixed the 110v electrical, replaced the battery, installed a metal engine cover, and a few other odds & ends. The van passed smog a little over a year ago when we brought it into the state. It has mostly sat this past year, only being driven every couple of months. The biggest problems I know about are the air conditioning & heat. AC is the factory-installed overhead unit. The PO suspected it had a bad AC compressor, and threw in a good used one. I never got around to installing it, but it comes along with the deal. As for heat, the front blower fan is kaput. This didn't bother me so mush as the rear heater works flawlessly and whenever the van is underway there is sufficient airflow to draw the heat in through the front heater without the fan. The van brought us cross country in November '03 and we never needed more heat, even when driving through a snowstorm in New Mexico.

Its currently raining out here, but when the weather breaks I'll take photos and post a link.

'86 Vanagon Westy GL, $9450 Bronze with tan interior Full poptop camper working stove/sink/fridge (all 3 power sources) Both tables Swival seats even has both barbie ice cube trays.

2.1L wbx 4 speed tranny Power mirrors, power steering, factory AC 115k ORIG. miles. Zero seam rust Optional 2 person middle seat Factory floor tracks and covers Only used in the summer for camping Never driven in the salt New poptop seals Complete CLEAN interior no stains, no wear Looks new w/ all screens and curtains. All factory floor mats (OEM rubber) Bumpers are straight Front chin spoiler from a wolfsburg/Carat van added Passenger side doorpocket matching the drivers one added. Trailer hitch added but never used 15" alloy wheels w/ 225-75-15 all terrain tires Runs and drives well Head gaskets already done by prev. owner Doesn't leak anything

Camper was bought new in europe, then driven around over there for 4 yrs and 40k mi prior to being shipped back to the USA, so it has alot of cool european camping stickers on it. and YES THE VAN IS US SPEC. W/ MPH SPEEDO.

I've mostly been lurking on the list, hoping for the time to do more with the Westy. As such, I often get pretty backed up on list mail. Please respond via p-mail to jidd@jiddware.com if interested.

Thanks, JD Foster Mariposa, CA