Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Feb 2005 08:41:40 -0500
From:         Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Brake line flaring tool?
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>

Shawn,

I dunno about your neck of the woods, but I was able to get metal brake lines with metric fittings on them at my FLAPS. Get the ones with bubble flares on the end (if the FLAPS guy looks at you like you grew an extra head when you ask for bubble flares, try telling him you need German-style metric brake lines :-).

I found a perfect match for the rear brake lines (I *think* it was 20"... but don't trust my memory, use a flexible tape measure to check the length of your existing lines, and get the closest match you can that is long enough). I did need a tubing bender and a little patience to duplicate the bends.

On the front, I used 8" lines (the shortest available at my FLAPS), these are about 3" longer than stock, but there's room for the larger loop... just make sure you check it through the whole range of steering motion to make sure it stays clear of all the suspension components.

When bending remember to be careful not to kink the line, and not to bend right *at* the fitting, leave a bit of straight line at the fitting end so the fitting can slide, and so the edge of the fitting doesn't nick (and weaken) the line.

Good luck!

Tim

At 09:28 PM 2/17/2005 -0800, Shawn Wright wrote: >While replacing a rear wheel cylinder, I had the steel line seized onto the >clamp nut, so it was twisting as I removed it. Since the line looked pretty >rough, I just cut it off and crimped the end to stop the fluid. >I see in EKTA that these lines do not have part #s - just a 5m roll of >line cut >to length. So it would appear I need to get a flaring tool, some end "nuts", >and some line, and since I assume the line is fairly cheap, I might as well >do any that look bad, right? Or am I better off to just get the 15" or so >that I >need? > >This flaring kit: >http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/ap7827.html >shows 4.75, 6, 8, 10mm dies. >It appears from EKTA that VW uses 4.75mm brake line - is this fairly easy >to find?. Anyone know the correct size for the flare nuts? > >Thanks.Shawn Wright >http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright >'85 Jetta TD (retired) >'85 Jetta D >'88 Westy 2.1L >'82 Diesel Westy