Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Feb 2005 06:32:50 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Clutch pedal sticking when depressed-'88 Vanagon 4spd -
Comments: To: Tim Demarest <tim.demarest@POBOX.COM>

At 10:33 PM 2/17/2005 -0800, Barrett Willet wrote: >'88 Vanagon 4spd >Recently everytime I press in the clutch pedal and release, the pedal only >returns a few inches and sticks in place. Clutch is still engaging as >normal and no problems with driveability or shifting...yet. A slight tap >under the pedal with my toe and it springs back to its normal position. >I have checked for leaks at Clutch master cylinder and slave but do not >see any signs or drips. Been watching the fluid level and have seen no >signs of fluid loss. > >Could this be the sign of air in the line or a bad cylinder. >Clutch pedal has always had a slight squeak when pushing in the pedal. > >Any thoughts are appreciated. > >Barrett Willet >'88 Vanagon Wolfsburg

It sounds like the hole in the clutch pedal where the pushrod clevis pin connects is wearing into an oval shape; thats the squeaking noise you were hearing. You can either weld the hole up and drill a new hole, then replace the pivot pin or do what I did; drill an oversized hole and install a bronze oil-less bushing and a shouldered bolt with a nylock nut.

You have to pull the pedal assembly in order to repair the pedal hole, which means you need to remove the entire dashboard. You don't have to disconnect the hydraulic line on the brake and clutch master cylinders. The worst part of the job is removing one of the pedals while the assembly is still behind the firewall - only one pedal will fit up through the opening.

I have some photos and a write-up on my website and some additional photos in my Yahoo!Photo album.

Good luck,