Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:01:21 -0500
From:         Phil Walker <phil.walker@BROOKS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Motorcycle Hitch for 1985

I use Dennis's hitch with a bike rack (the type that swings out). This is actually a great solution for me. I can open the rear hatch just by swinging the bike out of the way. It never feels long to me. I would suspect that the bikes sits another 6" or so back more than the hatch mounted rack, but I don't know for sure.

Back on the hitch size for a second...I bought Dennis' class 3 receiver hitch becuase I wanted to use a bike rack, and I wanted the biggest "square" to support the rack and keep it from flopping around. Of course class 3's are officially rated to whatever (I don't know the exact rating) but I didn't get it for the maximum towing capacity. I would hope that no one would think that just becuase the van had a class 3 that they could hold more tounge (and added towing capacity) weight than a class 1 or whatever. If someone is thinking that then there are likely other oversights in the van that we should be worried about. I know these things can tow a house (or another van), but stopping is always the problem!

For the record I also use the hitch to tow a small trailer with a 300# motorcycle (+gear, etc.). I swear you can't even tell the trailer is back there. It tows awesome (for a 92hp engine) :)

Bascially the 2" reciever just gives me peace of mind and excellent versitility. I'd like to get one of those little platforms next...I'm not sure you can even get one for a class 1. If nothing else the 2" sqaure will keep the thing from flopping aorund much around corners.

YMMV

-Phil