Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Feb 2005 10:30:49 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Just Curious

On 2/18/05 10:05 PM, "Kim Brennan" <kimbrennan@MAC.COM> wrote:

> My local VW dealer (Stohlman VW/Subaru in Tyson's Corner Virginia) used > a Vanagon as their customer shuttle up until about 5 years ago. Then > they switched to a Eurovan. I believe they still use that Eurovan. > > I think the switch to the Eurovan occurred around the same time their > good Vanagon mechanic (Ricky?) switched to being a shop manager. Some > russian became the vanagon mechanic. A year or two after that, I > stopped using them for service on my Vanagon. > > Of course their labor rates also went from $45 an hour to $85-90 an > hour, and getting service used to consist of dropping it off the night > before, now I'd have to schedule it 2-3 weeks ahead of time. (note this > is also >AFTER< they expanded their service bay.) Service now would > ALWAYS take a minimum of 3 days (1 day to diagnose problem and order > parts, and 2 days to wait for the parts to get there and get > installed.) Complete uneconomical to use them for service under those > circumstances. > > I think it was some kind of corporate initiative on the expansions. Both of the major VW dealerships here expanded at the same time about 3 years ago. Added bays and a second shift. Several of the independents in the area lost their mechanics to that second shift. You still could only pick up or drop off a vehicle during certain hours but the techs were actually working into the evening. DonΉt know if they are still doing the shifts now though.

Any parts with less than a certain demand level or over about 5 years old are only maintained at the main center (new jersey?). I talked with some of the people from their corporate service about it a while back when they were on one of their tours through the area. It seems that the glass house feels that it is sufficient. VWOA has been micromanaged by the 4 thousand mile screwdriver for several years now. And they noted that the glass house thinks that Canada and US are one country so together we get one parts central. The local dealerships usually only stock parts for vehicles less than 5 years old or above certain demand levels. No room for any more than that. It takes 2 or 3 days to get parts here from there depending on whether normal or expedited. Toyota, subaru, honda, ford, chevy, daimler/chrysler all have regional parts warehouses to service their dealerships. Here in the denver metro area parts usually same day or next morning depending when ordered. The goal I was told by some of their reps is to keep their shops serviced better than NAPA. I think they may have been serious on that comment.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com