Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:28:11 -0800
From:         Mark Keller <kelphoto@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: AFM ADJUSTING
Comments: To: "Adam H. Behle" <tikiman2@COX.NET>

Adam H. Behle wrote:

>Generally, the o2 sensor seemed to be doing its job-cutting out on decelleration, showing more >voltage under loads and up grades, etc. It did have a hard time dropping the voltage after going >over a grade or accelerating quickly. > >The initial "rich and sooty" position of the AFM wheel was about 7 clicks counterclockwise of the >original position and gave a reading of about 800 mv while cruising at 3000 rpm on level ground. >As I turned the wheel clockwise and monitored each new position while driving, >the engine seemed to be leaning out a bit with each click clockwise, but the idle would stay >around 2000-sometimes dropping slowly to 1000 or so. The voltage or engine behavior did not >seem to change whether the wheel was 5 clicks or 20 clicks clockwise. I would get a reading >around 500 mv at idle, but it was usually around 650 in normal driving and at idle! I'll try some >more tests and take more detailed notes in the next few days-the rain has been pretty nasty. > >o2 sensor was cleaned before all this, but it's probably pretty gunked up again after all this fooling >around. It is the 3-wire type, and I connected the black 16G lead to the red mm test lead and >connected the other mm lead to ground. Unfortunately I have 2 nasty hairline cracks on 2 of my >exhaust headers-both on the right side. So perhaps all the o2 testing is pointless until I replace >(gulp) those headers. The van had been running fine (ok, a little rich) before with the cracks >though. > >I guess I'll try leaning out the engine a bit and start adjusting the idle a bit. It is tempting to just >order a rebuilt unit at this point and slap it in, followed by a new exhaust-but I have a hard time >justifying all that cash to fix a funky idle. I think I am finally committed to a decision to keep the >wasserboxer platform rather than a Subaru due to time, space, and potential resale issues-so >"investing" in this engine might not be so bad. Bostig Engineering's miracle air box sounds really >interesting as well if it actually materializes. > >Thanks again for your prompt replies, >Adam > > > Hi Adam,

Well I would say that the 2000 rpm at idle is interesting, it fits the theory that you were to rich on the spring, and that someone opened up the air bypass to compensate for all of the extra fuel.. I would have just immediately turned the big air bypass screw and see if it would idle lower at the 850 RPM Range. If it did, it would indicate that you were on the right track , and keep leaning out the AFM spring. BTW my setting was 9 clicks, last one I did was 8, so you gettting to the range. Don't let the high idle concern you when your leaning out the rich cruise settings, it's a sign that your affecting the tune of the Fuel injection.

Not that I'm saying give up on this AFM, but if you did get another one, and your air bypass screw opened up and causing the high idle on a properly tensioned AFM, you would still need to adjust it, if you replace yours. so you might as well get some practice in fine tuning. Typically the complaint on a bad wiper track/AFM is that a flat spot or stumble occurs. This is somewhat problematic. If the afm tune is off, it could cause a very similar sympton as a bad carbon track. So if you had a stumble and it changes as your tune improves, I'd be less inclined to write of the AFM.

Remember too that for now, the ECU is open loop, so no O2 data is being incorporated into the fuel pulse map. Also that the exhaust cracks only have an impact on your voltage, probley only slight to none as high rpm, they may even close up when hot. The cracks probley would affect idle, as less exhaust gas flow.

The .5 to .6 volt range sounds good, I would like to see you get below .5 on cruise, but .5 is the goal. It's just that the AFM seem to a load curve, when the spring tension is ideal. Giving a nice lean at cruise, and nice power rich on heavy load. In fact on heavy load, I've noted that the AFM open loop is more powerful that in closed loop, but it's a small differance.

Mark