Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:54:09 -0800
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Heads update

Greeting all,

I have success!!! Heads are back on. Tomorrow reassemble.

How I did it (my first time) and what I found:

Those following the saga know that one side went well and I did not replace the lower o-ring and the other side the jugs came off.

Well I cleaned everything up and replace the lower o-ring since the jugs came off. The old o-ring was as soft as the new one which makes me fell good about the other side.

Having a ring compressor really came in handy which I borrowed. I had extra large tie wraps and a pair of large hose clamps too. I did the rear cylinder first and it was done in about 3 minutes; one hit and the cylinder slid right down. The forward cylinder was much more difficult. I put it on easily but couldn't get the ring compressor band off. I then tried the tie wraps, that didn't work so I went back to the ring compressor. I don't know who said it but having a good head rest (up high) really paid off (I used the wheel that I took off for the job. Propped up and with a long screwdriver I was able to get the band off. Now that I know the trick I would pull the jugs off just to replace the o-ring it was that easy. These problems were on the driver's side and the air conditioner compressor and the other junk in that area made it a bit difficult to get the head back on but it is on and torqued down. Once everything was double checked at 37 lbs I quit for the evening.

Being my first head gasket job I am saying a few extra prayers tonight, throwing a few extra chicken bones over the shoulder, a couple of extra pins in the Vanagon doll, and I am looking for a volcano to toss myself into hoping that when/if I test run it tomorrow everything will be great!!! I don't think the volcano will take me.

Jere

90 GL/Carat-a-version