Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Feb 2005 18:20:09 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 86 Vanagon for sale in SF $200
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com>

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:42:31 -0800, Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com> wrote: > I was told recently by the CA DMV that the fees/penalties are now capped at > three years. > The DMV won't record your release of liability until they have registration > from a new owner or the salvage paperwork- this also according to the local > DMV office. Also, they may mention due fees on vehicles you have when you're > in there trying to do something else, but they won't hold a new registration > or what-have-you hostage to get the fees. There seems to be no enforcement > whatsoever as long as the car isn't on the road.

<SNIP>

Robert,

I beg to difer. I hold three letters from the Franchise Tax Board on vehciles which was sold and a relaease of liability was filed. I had to refiule a copy before they acknowledged. One such vehicle I sold to Vic from Vanamania (who is in Las Vegas, Nevada). The insisted I refile the release of liability before releasing the impending lien on my assets for unpaid registration. On another deal, I sold a Scirocc and filed the release. When they asked for a refile, I did not have the buyer's license number. Within 60 days, they filed a lien with my bank and took the fees out of my bank account.

I don't know how they handle enforcement in your area but they certainly seem to take a proactive stance in the cases I have been involved in.

That Mike Miller should be able to answer these questions. He's a former DMV as-- h...informant... errr. bureaucrat.

BenT