Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Feb 2005 04:40:05 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Syncro Weekender Trivia
Comments: To: Budd Premack <bpremack@MN.RR.COM>

Budd Premack <bpremack@MN.RR.COM> wrote:

After a long time off the List, while occasionally lurking on the digests, I couldn't resist the allure of Vanomania, so I am back on again.

eBay 4527409603 has an 87 Syncro Weekender for sale. I know nothing about it, but am intrigued by two features shown in the pictures. First, it appears to have a Wolfsburg badge on the right front fender, but has the single fixed rear facing (Weekender style) seat instead of the two removable jump seats found on other 87 Wolfsburgs.

Second, the upholstery pattern seems original but has a vertical partial stripe pattern unlike any I have seen on other Vanagons. Does anyone (especially Chris Turner) have an explanation for these features?

This is a Vanagon Syncro Camper (non-GL) model if you are looking it up in the model info section of Vanagon.com <http://www.vanagon.com/info/years/1987/index.html#1987_vanagon_camper_syncro> or in any of the blue book vehicle pricing sites. They are pretty easy to differentiate from a "GL" Campers of the same vintage since they lack the utility outlets on the driver side, the "deluxe" chrome window trim and sport a plain 'VANAGON' badge on the rear deck lid. The upholstery is stock and a 1-year only item for US Vanagons, it was available in some of the world in the Transporter Multivan model until at least 1990 . A blue/gray pattern was also available and is especially rare, it came with the stock blue and white exterior colors only. It holds up a lot better than the 'shreddable corderoy' that came in earlier model years.

There is a Yahoo!Group dedicated to this model of camper called 'Wolfsburg_Campers', my signature contains a link to the site. Ther is a lot more information including photos and copies of the camper supplement manual on that site. My Vanagon Camper - Goldibox - has her own website and is a non-syncro (or should I say 1/2 syncro) example of an '87.

The ebaY Syncro Camper is missing the removable Dometic refrigerator that bolts to the floor behind the passenger seat but looks to be in pretty good shape. I might end up putting mine on ebaY if this thing goes for more than $12K.

Good luck

TJ Hannink Goldibox - 1987 Vanagon Camper, Wolfsburg Edition 1981 Bluebird Wanderlodge, FC-33 Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wolfsburg_campers http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wanderlodge FAVOR website: http://home.earthlink.net/~clubvanagon __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com