Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:52:42 +0000
From:         joe trussell <vanagongl@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      '85 Westfalia story (long)

So I mentioned I'd found a Westy at the Public Auto Auction Lot here in Denver, and it's what got me looking for one...

I was just driving by and saw it--It was dirty and dusty and looked like it needed a right rear wheel cylinder and a good cleaning; it had an antifreeze leak coming from somewhere, but I couldn't tell if it was a hose or a head...In looking at it, I noticed that it had Bilsteins all the way around, so I figured that whoever had it had taken care of it. I talked to the auction folks and they introduced me to the charity donation company that owned it. I offered the donation company $1200 on the spot, and they said "no, $2900." I thought about it for a couple of days, then called them back. I told the auction folks to let the donation company know that I wanted to offer $2900.

These guys couldn't find the thing anywhere. They didn't know what I was talking about. The Auction manager told me that this donation company was infamous for simply taking cars without letting the auction people know, and that they had apparently taken it to another lot. Nobody could tell me where, though.

After a week and a half of speaking to every auto auction place in Denver and trying to find somebody at the donation company who knew what was going on, I finally got through to the Director of the company. She was quite surprised by my story, and tracked the van down for me--it was at Colorado Auto Auction and that it was going with a reserve of $2500. She connected me to them, and I asked about it. Then they asked me for my dealer number. This wasn't a public auction. They wouldn't give me any info and I couldn't bid. But I knew it was there.

I was disgusted, because I don't really know anybody in the business, so there was nothing I could do. I wanted it to go to a good home, though, and not end up on a bad used car lot. It really was a nice Westy. So I called JBD Imports and told the owner about it. I figured if anybody could get it into shape and get it to a good home, they could, because they only sell really nice ones that they've taken the time to check out and get into shape. I never heard back from the JBD guy after the weekend of the auction, so I forgot about it.

Then, today, I was looking through Autotrader and saw my missing Westfalia--for sale from JBD for $6900.00.

Joe T. '85 GL "action van" '85 Wolfsberg Westfalia

_________________________________________________________________ Don’t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/