Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Feb 2005 07:40:47 -0700
From:         Aaron Pearson <Aaron.Pearson@GXT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stereo wiring question

i'm not as clever as don- i connected both the red and yellow wires from the stereo to the red battery wire. this way, my stereo always has full power. i make sure to turn it off and remove the faceplate when i'm out of the car so i don't run the battery down. i have the word "BATTERY" written in red letters on a yellow background next to the ignition, so i always remember to turn everything off. headlight relay is my next move.

aaron '87 syncro gl

-----Original Message----- From: Don in North Carolina [mailto:Don_Dixon@BELLSOUTH.NET] Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:30 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Stereo wiring question

Peter,

Normally, the Red wire is for main radio power, and the Yellow wire is for the memory circuit. The Yellow wire should be connected to the battery (there are generally open terminals available on the back of the fuse panel - lower left hand side as you look at the FRONT of the panel). Since there is no Accessory position on VW's, you should connect the wire to a source that is "hot" only when the key is on - unless you have a second (auxiliary) battery, then you can connect it there. If you connect the Red wire to the battery, you run the risk of forgetting to turn off your stereo and running your battery down.

Oh, and the cigarette lighter has constant power, it works with the key on or off. The headlights are only powered with the key on, but the parking lights have power all of the time (confused yet?). And to be safe, you should have fuses on BOTH the Red and the Yellow wire.

Personally, I would connect the Yellow wire to the spare (B+) terminals on the fuse panel, and connect the Red wire through a relay to the Yellow/Black wire, as the ignition switch is already loaded heavily by the lighting circuit (unless you have added a headlight relay kit, then you can connect to it directly).

All IMHO, YMMV - of course...

Don in Reidsville, NC 1987 Vanagon GL Syncro (Suzie) - For Sale! 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia) Why do they call it a fixed income, when mine is always broke?

----- Original Message ----- From: "The Shaws" <mindthegap01@COMCAST.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wed 23 February 2005 21:56 Subject: Stereo wiring question