Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:48:42 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Car talk bias - a little off topic

On Feb 24, 2005, at 9:06 AM, Al and Sue Brase wrote:

> Sorry, Kim, but I can't agree about the 1500, nor with much of anything > else the Car Talk yokels have to say. > 1500: > I have to chime in here, after all it isn't every day you can criticize a sacred cow like Car Talk and get away with it, all of us having been trained to believe they know everything about cars. It's like how people get offended when you say Garrison Keillor isn't funny, people acted like you called their mother something.

Anyway, not long after I bought my 90 vanagon new, I was driving down the road in it and car talk was on. Someone called in with a question about a vanagon. You would have thought the caller had said something about Mrs. Tappet. They couldn't avoid shouting over each other about how bad a car the vanagon was. "Worst handling car ever made" was one of the comments, and there were many more, and it seemed to me that they not only had not driven a vanagon, they were talking about some other car they hated. The characteristics they were complaining about were opposite of what I thought I was driving at that very moment.

Their parting advice to the caller: Wait until next year, VW is coming out with the vanagon's replacement the Eurovan. Wait and buy that, it's a much better car.

: )

Jim