Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:47:57 EST
From:         No Name Available <Trvlr2001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Seams

In a message dated 2/24/2005 7:16:38 PM Pacific Standard Time, whathe1@ADELPHIA.NET writes: So whats the plan to deal with those dreaded seams? Any success stories out there? It is about that time for my 85. -- hey now, I completely cut out & replaced the drivers side panel in my 85, because of the infamous seam rust, and would Not advise anyone to do this !!!! Way too big of a job. For the amount of reward ! Yes the rust will always be in there, but there are ways to deal with it to at least keep it at bay. Start by cleaning the rust out of the seam as deeply as you can. I made a tool from a small flat tipped screw driver to scrap the seam. (&take out the old seam sealer) Then I bought a small sand blaster from harbor freight, & blasted the seam. Take everything off from the inside. If it's a camper bus it could be worse. water gets in from the utility hook ups. You may need to replace the reinforcement bar on the inside of the body panel. I did. Mine was completely rusted in two. Next Spray the seam with those chemicals that neutralize the rust. Spray three times, three different days. Spray inside & out with Zinc Chromate primer. Paint with Por 50. Re-seam the (outside) seams with 3M body seam filler. Get the flexible stuff. spray inside & out with Zinc Chromate primer. Paint the inside with Por 50 on top of the primer. (sand everything first) I filled the bottom of the panel (the floor) with seam filler, on a slope, so any moisture would drain out the two drain sections, at the bottom of the panel. I coated all inside seams with 3M seam sealer as well. Then two coats of metal etching primer. Paint. This should hold the rust at bay for 5 or 6 years anyway. Since I replaced the Panel, I better not see any rust for another 15 years...lord willing & the creek don't rise! On my camper bus, I replaced the panel with a Non camper panel. I don't, & wont have the Utility box's. I fill the water tank from the inside, I don't use park electricity. (& when I do, I will bring it through a window). Also, I will use clear RTV on the inside of the glass rubber above the panel to seal out water. Did I miss any thing? Sorry, my typing is sooo slow...& my thoughts... sooo racing !!!! :o) & I've got wide staring eyes, a strong urge to fly, but.... best O luck !!!! JC.... come on now, it is fryyyyday :o)