Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:10:16 -0800
From:         Philip Chidlaw <pchidlaw@MCN.ORG>
Subject:      Intermittent starting problem and temp II

I could use some troubleshooting advice for my 87 westy over an intermittent starting problem, perhaps on where to start looking for a solution. Always when cold, typically after spending a couple of weeks parked in the garage. The engine cranks fine and I believe the plugs are firing because it sounds like it is just about to start up, and smells like very rich exhaust while cranking over.

Suspecting a fuel delivery problem, I checked for ignition-on fuel pump vibration, which passed. I was planning on a fuel delivery check and then fuel pressure check, but first decided to replace the temp II sensor with a new spare I keep on hand. In doing so, I noticed that the leads to the coolant temp II coolant sensor are brittle and are nearly broken right at the point where they emerge from their plastic sheath a few inches from the rubber connector boot. In fact, the insulation is damaged on both wires enough to expose conductors. I need to cut back this plastic sheath enough to expose undamaged leads for a splice, but with age the sheath has become a tightened hard plastic enclosure - tough to cut without damaging wires inside.

Does anyone know of a source for a new temp II connector? I am hoping that a new one will provide not only unscathed but longer leads, providing some slack for a splice. Except for these rare and abrupt starting lapses, the van starts great, idles fine, and runs smoothly when we need it to. I have checked and cleaned all engine bay and transmission ground points that I could find. Any help is appreciated, thanks all. -Phil