Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Feb 2005 07:47:01 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Opinions on old diesels with AT
Comments: To: eduntz@HOTMAIL.COM

My sister had an 83 Rabbit diesel with automatic transmission. She loved it, drove it for many years, and as far as I know it is still running well. The only problem we had with it was the starter. It is located on the rear of the engine right under the exhaust. It is supposed to have a metal shield over it to keep the heat off of the starter. If it does not then you are going to need to get one or make one because it will be fine cold, but not start hot, and also the starter life will be seriously shortened. We put three or four starters on it in three years time trying to figure this problem out (many years ago now). Replacing the starter is about is much fun as giving birth to a watermelon. It is in the most inconvenient spot you can imagine and juggling installing the starter and also installing the heat shield at the same time would make Luke Skywalker change to the dark side.

I never really noticed a lower amount of power with the automatic. It seemed to zip here and there. Also the three speed trans has a fuel saving feature. It free wheels when you are going down hills or not stepping on the gas pedal. I think she got low 40s mpg with it (I could ask her if you wanted).

Now she has an 2002 Jetta TDI automatic and loving every minute of it. I drove this car a couple of months ago. Awesome vehicle! If you can afford it.

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com