Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:31:55 EST
From:         No Name Available <Trvlr2001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Seams;

So what is the recommended treatment under the seam sealer? I'm thinking of scraping out all rust with a blade, several treatments of RustMort, primer, paint then sealer, then more paint. Or is the paint under the sealer not needed. I'm thinking paint would help to protect the metal if there are any cracks in the sealer, or moisture enters from the inside...

After scraping & sand blasting & Rust Converter, I sprayed Zinc Chromate primer into the seam, letting it soak in & dry. Then I took a small artists brush & painted the seam with Por 50. This will need to be roughly sanded, or, lightly blasted after drying, so the (flexible, nondrying) Sealer will adhere. (We're talking a very fine glass bast here too by th by.) And, at least in my shop, the sand blaster is still out :o) Then your metal etching primer, color tinted primer, Base colors & clear coats

So far, every bit of seam rust I've found corresponds with cracked undercoating on the back side of the seam, except for behind the kitchen, and we all know the cause for that area. Just under the fuel filler is a good example - if you have the filler neck out, it is a good time to scrape off the cracked undercoating and re-apply after treating with RustMort or similar. Yes, don't neglect the inside! I pretty much duplicated the treatment used on the out side, except I really laid the seam Sealer and Por 50, on heavy! I had many welds to cover from the panel replacement, to contend with. A lot of carbon is fried in the welding process. Not good for the heat treatment a metal may have been made to possess. And, I think the metal is More prone to rust afterwards Now after all of the Jazz above, I will spray the inside of the panels with a Truck Bed Liner. This can be sprayed with a small throw away sprayer ($40). I will do the complete bus. (everywhere the 24 inch spray head tube will reach) Then I will Stuff Fiberglass down every channel that is not reachable. Then insulation. Lastly seal any chance of Out Gassing off with a 4mil plastic. John C. SLC, UT ps: It's a sunny day, here in Zion Land, & I'm out to do some sanding in the sunshine. & maybe a cold beer or three! Hope you all create a day of joy for your selves as well !!!!