Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Feb 2005 10:08:43 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Zoran Mladen <zmaninco@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about pressure bleeder
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>

Why build one? You can buy them brand new on ebay for $40. Do a search on pressure bleeder.

Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA> wrote: I'm planning to build a pressure bleeder to hopefully resurrect my clutch. I've read numerous posts and web articles on these things, including both a wet and dry approach (pumping fluid or just air). I'll probably try the dry approach first to reduce possible mess.

My question is this - one article mentions that you're forcing fluid past the master cylinder seals, which is something I had been wondering about. Isn't there position in the piston stroke where fluid is allowed to enter the cylinder? I imagine there must be, and if so, what is this position? It would seem the resting positon would be the only way it could work. So doesn't this mean the pressure bleeding doesn't actually force fluid past the seals as long as the pedals remain in the up position?

Also, the same article mentions clamping the hose leading to clutch master cylinder (not a Vanagon, but similar I guess) to avoid leaking at this hose, since it's not designed for pressure. I'm thinking of trying 10-15 psi at most and watching carefully for leaks. Any other tricks or tips?

Thanks.Shawn Wright http://zuiko.sls.bc.ca/~swright '85 Jetta TD (retired) '85 Jetta D '88 Westy 2.1L '82 Diesel Westy