Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:46:39 -0800
From:         Westyman <syncrowestytd@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Engine Still Overheating - Need Advice / Chapter Three
Comments: To: ROBERT DONALDS <donalds1@verizon.net>

Yes, I agree that you wouldn't think one nut could be missed. That, then, in my opinion points to the stud has either stretched or pulled the threads from the block, something I haven't seen on a waterboxer yet. Something happened to make it loose, for sure. I think Larry's engine has rebuilt OEM heads, the engine I have here with a combustion leak has the Spanish AMC heads. Larry's problem existed before the radiator replacement, and came on suddenly, he then noticed coolant leakage from the nut that turned out to be loose.

Karl

-----Original Message----- From: ROBERT DONALDS [mailto:donalds1@verizon.net] Karl and fellow vanagon types

I spoke with Larry on Saturday and went over the problem and he did mention the loose head nut. Tightening the heads is a multi sequence operation first snug the 25 pds then 37 pds you cant miss one nut that many times. I don't see that you can say AVP messed up that many times no way Leonard does this every day. I do think you could say that the nut did not stay tight and why ? For me the rebuild OEM heads would be my first concern Karl did the engine you are talking about have rebuilt OEM heads. I cam to the conclusion that the coolant system had not been bleed corretly by the shop that did the radiator repalcement and Larry felt he may have exhuast gasses in the coolant but the test they did showed negitive rezults Time will tell party on