Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2005, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:15:16 -0800
From:         Aleksandr Milewski <zandr@ASPERASOFT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Filling from a 40-lb propane tank?
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>

Edward Maglott wrote: > I think the fitting for the Westy yank will be the hard part to find. I > have often wanted to make a gadget that will allow hooking a disposable > propane bottle to the Westy tank. This would allow me to keep the stove > and fridge running temporarily when the Westy tank runs out, until I can > get to a refill station. Also would allow partially refilling a disposable > bottle from the Westy tank. Anybody know the specs on the fill fitting on > a Westy tank, and where to get one?

We built a hose for refilling the Westy Tank from 20lb BBQ tanks long ago. The BBQ end has changed, maybe twice now, because of the mandates for anti-overfill valves and the like. I can look at the fill fitting and see if there are any part numbers and the like, but it has to be a standard part.

I'll ask where Dad had it made, but I think it was an RV shop. At the time, we were both active in hot air ballooning, so we were dealing with lots of propane on a regular basis. Refilling the Westy that way isn't the easiest thing in the world (standing a 20lb bottle on its head, 2-3' off the ground), but it would work. And a 20lb bottle in the roofrack (don't EVER put it inside) would keep the kitchen going for as long a trip as I'd care to take.

-Z