Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 4 Mar 2005 11:35:19 -0500
From:   John Meeks <vanagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: preparing for engine rebuild or replacement
Comments:   To: Trina Lindal <digidoll@comcast.net>

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:46:00 -0800, Trina Lindal <digidoll@comcast.net> wrote:

>How many more miles am I likely to get? >Am I safe to be planning my regular road trips this summer? >What signs will I have when the engine could be ready to go? >Am I way off track here and my engine will run forever, so just quit > Thanks again, > /Trina > Trina, I also have a '91 Multivan, so here's my experience: I resealed/resurfaced my heads at 130K. This was a result of a coolant pipe failure at speed on an interstate hwy. Van overheated and warped the heads. I'm now at 170K and engine is running very well. If you change oil, coolant, trans and brake fluid on schedule, you can expect another 100K on your engine before the bottom end shows signs of wear. The big enemy of these engines is overheating. Keep your hoses fresh and tight, inspect the metal coolant pipes and shut it right down at the first sign of overheating.

Most other problems are just from loose or corroded stuff like electrical grounds and connections. My van is my daily driver too and my driving pattern is just like yours.

Take your trips. Listen to your engine. Don't worry. Have fun.

-- John Meeks

Vanagon Rescue Squad http://www.vanagonauts.com/Vanagon_Rescue_Squad74.htm

'91 Multivan Top o' Northern Michigan