Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:18:13 -0800
From:         Jack <john.cook58@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: idiot's guide to vanagon seam rust repair.  please RED
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

On 2 Mar 2005 at 18:46, Andrew Grebneff wrote:

> you MUST REMOVE EVERY MOLECULE OF IRON OXIDE or > the rust will spread again

I keep seeing comments like this and I don't understand. I'm not a chemist but I do know rust is not magic. That one inorganic molecule of iron oxide is not going to multiply by itself. It's not going to propagate by dividing in two like some live organism. Nor is it a seed. To create more molecules of iron oxide (or similar compounds), you have to have more molecules of oxygen available and those typically come via oxygen dissolved in moisture.

Someone was kind enough to provide the link:

<http://www.corrosion-doctors.org>

which contains a lot of good technical information about what rust really is and how it forms. Far more than I'll attempt to repeat here. Recommended reading.

If I'm missing something, please point me in the right direction.

//Jack