Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Mar 2005 09:50:19 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: Window fell down

I had this happen once. There are several things that could cause it, such as the moving wire that holds the slider breaking in two. However, it's more likely that one of the plastic pieces wore out or broke as happened to me.

Search the archives for "window" and author "felder" to see how I made a simple part that's still working after mine fell.

Pop the plastic cover off the door handle to reveal the screw in the center of the handle base. Work from the back of the base with a screwdriver or similar, with a think sheet of something under it that will protect the vinyl you may have to bear against.

Use a thin blade like a butter knife to pry the ends of the long door handle out, revealing two phillips head screws on each end. The rectangular cover pieces hinge at the ends of the handle, so don't pry there.

Use a phillips head to remove the armrest pad, squat down to see the access holes.

Remove two screws that hold the vent on at the rear lower corner.

Use a screwdriver to pry up the door cover at some point, I don't think it matters where you start. Use something under the screwdriver so you won't gouge the paint.

Once you can get your hand under a section of the door cover, find the next plastic pin and give the cover a sharp tug to detach it there, and move to the next pin.

Carefully remove the plastic wind seals and lay them aside.

There you are... you just have to now unbolt the winding mechanism where it bolts in under the handle, and you have to remove the glass from the bracket by removing the two 10MM screws. The sliding part looks like a t-square. On the head of the t-square are the two bolts I'm talking about. On the "blade" of the square, top and bottom, are 10mm bolts. The bottom one is on the underside of the door, the top one is obvious.

The thing should now come out.

If it has to do with the nylon sliding block coming loose, read my post in the archive. If it's anything else, like a broken winding mechanism, you'll have to get a new or used one.