Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Mar 2005 17:18:13 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: careful removing drums! was drums scraping backing plate
Comments: To: jake beaulieu <jbeaulie@ND.EDU>

If you hit the drums from the back or used a pry bar/screwdriver, you most likely also bent the backing plates. If you hit the drums hard enough with a hammer to bend them, you will also need to plan a future bearing replacement. Stubborn drums should be removed by loosening the brake adjusters to make sure they clear the rust ridge and then, if needed, remove the axle nut so the drum can slide off with the wheel flange. Then the flange can be pressed out of the drum with out damaging anything else.

Dennis

----- Original Message ----- From: jake beaulieu <jbeaulie@ND.EDU> Date: Thursday, March 3, 2005 1:58 pm Subject: careful removing drums! was drums scraping backing plate