Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:27:27 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mercedes rims...I have a question
Comments: To: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@yahoo.com>

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:35:06 -0800, TJ Hannink <tjhannink@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > AFAIK, a 14" x 6.5" wheel would have to have an offset of 23 mm in order to have the same amount of clearance as a stock steel or alloy wheel has on a 2WD Vanagon. > > BTW I installed custom wheels on my Camper for two reasons - so I could mount a wider tire and because they look good. :>) I haven't had any wheel bearing failures in 80k miles, AFAIK they are still the original wheel bearings (240k miles) > .

Tim,

That is becauswe you are not running ETXX. I never said you will have a priblem with your particular arrangement. I simply said that ET or offset is vitally more important than suspension clearance. For example, I can get a Hummer H2 17 X 9 alloy wheel to fit within the confines of the wheelwells of my 2wd Vanagon. Suspension can clear. But ET would be ridiculously overhanging the normal position the bering is designed for. Tht was my point. The bearings are not likely going to survive under those extreme conditions.

I have 15 X 8 rdrilled Porsche Fuchs at ET23 on my 2wd GL with a 2+ inch lower springs. Works fine. I also have 17 X 9 in back and 17 X 8 Porsche Cup 2 alloys on my 84 GL ojn a corrcetd ET20. Still holding well. My other Syncro Doka is wearing Passat steel wheels at ET45. Seems be be ok there as well. In addition to these, I have literally tried dozen so of combinations. Evidenced by the huge pile of rims and tires in back of my office. One fellow listee tried to count them and stopped at 150.