Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:34:20 -0600
From:         Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: people who dont fix their seam rust....
Comments: To: John Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>

I watch these seam rust threads and just wonder if I should get into the fray! I guess I'd agree with most of what John's Dad-in -law said.. BUT: of my 6 Vanagons, the best is the 82, not the 87's or the 90 or the 91. Why? The 82 goes out to work in all kinds of salty brine nearly every winter day. I think it got better seam sealing when it was built. I don't know if there were changes in the production sealants or procedures or what. Every place there is seam rust on one of my cars, there is failure of the seam sealer behind it. I've removed some sealer on my silver 87 to repair some damage. Damn! that stuff is tough! It must be polyurethane caulk. I think if it is intact, it is just fine to leave it. I plan to remove some of my sealant from bad areas, treat the rust, and then reseal with similar polyurethane caulk. Treating the rust, there's a good one. I think sandblasting is pretty good if you can get to it. It certainly removes the built up scale of iron oxide. But it won't really work inside the seams unless you cut the welds first. (and I hope you didn't let it get THAT bad!) My current thinking is to use a rust converter first to convert the iron oxide to something inert and more stable like iron phosphate (metal prep- phosphoric acid). I don't know what Rust Mort is, but it and naval jelly are similar. THEN, I believe a polyurethane paint like POR 15 might be pretty good. POR 15 claims you don't even need to remove the scale, but who would want to leave it with scale showing? It would have to do a better job the cleaner you got it. The nice thing about these type products is that they will flow into pretty tight seams. and totally exclude the oxygen once they cure. I've not used any POR 15 actually but have used a Wurth product and just recently received a shipment of something called Rust Bullet. I suspect that they are similar, The Wurth stuff is just incredible.Once cured, it seems like powder paint. I think it might do a pretty good job. So, in summation: 1.Find and remove defective sealants. 2. Physically remove as much scale as possible. 3. Do any necessary welding repairs 4. Acid treat. Neutralize or rinse out acid. 5 Flow polyurethane paint (POR 15) into seam to thoughly seal from oxygen. Let cure. 6. Competely inspect to see if you missed any places. Re do if necessary. 7. Do final filling and paint- spot or full repaint. 8. Repair caulking on back side with new poly caulk. 9. Test for seal with pressure washer from back side. Repair if necessary. 10. spend next 2 weeks getting that POR stuff off your hands. 11. Enjoy your work and get back to engine problems. Al Brase (More progress reports to follow)