Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:24:55 -0800
From:         Dave Chameides <docproteus@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Conversion finished...questions

I recently finished adding an extra tank to my 83 1.6 diesel so it runs on veggie oil and I must say, she likes it a lot. Two things I have noticed since the conversion that I would like to run past the group.

Converting basically involves putting a separate tank in and running the veg (heated and filtered) and the diesel into a 6 way solenoid so that you can switch back and forth between the two. Start up on diesel until shešs warm, switch over, and then switch back at the end of the day to diesel for a few minutes to flush the system before stopping.

Since the conversion Išve noticed that after running starting up on diesel is touhg. Takes quite a few more turn overs and idles rough for the first few seconds and then fine. I think there may be a small air leak somewhere and this is as a result of needing to get the diesel to the engine. Any other thoughts?

Secondly, when I start up on disel I know get a big ole batch of blue smoke I never got before.

Your thoughts?

dave