Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Mar 2005 14:02:18 -0500
From:         Walt Oliver <walt@WALTNET.NET>
Subject:      Bike Racks

I'm short (5'6) and have a Vision recumbent and a mountain bike which I like to tote around. The best alternative I found a year ago was the SportWorks racks, which you can get from the excellent recumbent-supply house Hostelshoppe.com.

In the last six months or so, I've seen some racks, including one by Saris, that imitated the Sportworks concept and which probably cost less. The Sportworks racks are first-rate but pricey.

The great thing about them is that there's no messing around with webbing & no worries about grit in foam rubber pads scratching your vehicle's paint. You just lift the bike onto the tray, secure it with a couple of beefy spring-loaded hooks, and you're ready to go in all of a half-minute.

One note: I mounted my racks to a receiver hitch in the back. I got the South African big hitch (I think this was from Bus Depot) and had a local welder make me a 2" receiver which bolts on in place of the tow ball. With this setup, I've got 2 bikes on the back and a couple of kayaks & paddles on the roof with a Yakima rack.

No connection with Hostelshoppe, Vision, Bus Depot, Sportworks, Yakima, etc, etc--just a very pleased customer!

Walt '91 Carat Columbia, SC

Anyone who wants to talk recumbents, feel free to pmail me!