Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Mar 2005 12:29:08 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: '86 Doublecab on ebay..in PA.. one day left..at $4500 now..
Comments: To: Tim Olmstead <tim@cwo.com>

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:28:21 -0800, Tim Olmstead <tim@cwo.com> wrote: > Hi Chris, > > Ask your friend about, "There are two small rust hole on both sides right > beside the seat, as you open the door, it is under the rubber mat.( nothing > to major , I just thought it should be disclosed)". Is the rust in these > areas common with a Double Cab? MD title and the seller is in PA. Looks like > it was driven approx 10K miles a year since it came to the USA. Is that the > stock driver seat? Can you see anything incorrect or amiss with this Double > Cab? I ask you these questions because I don't have a clue other than I > would like to own a DC someday. > > Ps - did you see the Westy in one of the pics? Probably the sellers. > > Tim >

Tim,

I have 3 Dokas and had two other ones. All except one had the beginnings of corrosion in those floor areas. The main reason I found for this due to poor sealing of the lower cargo area. be it the treasure chest door seals or a peforation in the cargo bed. Many of the rusted Dokas and Singlecabs I've seen had their canopies removed. More often than not, the previous owners failed to replace the bolts which are used to attach the canopy supports. The result is 12 bolt holes which turn into drains. This is worse in Dokas that carry their spare tire under the rear bench. The opening for the spare tire lets the water intrude into the rear passenger compartment.

As for mileage on US imported Dokas, beware. Most Dokas like many vehicles not originally destined for the US territories need their speedos and attached odometers replaced. Typically going from KPH to MPH. The result is many get new or used speedos which are not likely to have the same mileage as the one being replaced. Those that have their original speedos are more likely than not to have odometers that only go to 99,999. Once they turn over, who knows what the real mileage is?

-- BenT