Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 5 Mar 2005 15:14:10 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      going down for the second time w/ the waterpump

Well as half time approached(the point that the pump is actually removed from vehicle and replacement begins)I had the old pump out (score 3 points).The waterpump ran the ensuing kickoff back 110 yards (7 points) when I broke off two(2) 10mm screws on the thermistat housing.These are the 2 bolts that hold the trapizoidal flange to the short hose.These bolts are now one quarter inch studs that stick up out of the housing for a 1.9.I used propane heat and all,but no luck(snap! snap!) Is my thermistat housing now toast, or can some trick be pulled out of a hat to fix it? I doubt it. I see my choices as 1, buy a new one from VW.I'll have to mortgage the house to do that,if they are avaliable. 2,go to a junk yard and put in about 5 hours to get a new used one off and engine.I now see those occasional offers for free or cheep cores as good deals.Mind ya,I'm doing this in 35 degree weather w/a cast on my foot.With the pump off, I can see where the old impeller has buzz sawed some metal off the engine case.There is a small amount of metal that remains.I think enough remains to properly direct the coolant.I once heard of jb weld being used to patch up something like this. Does anyone have the low down on this condition? waterpump, 7 me, 3. My team(me) is in the locker room at half time trying to come up w/a new game plan.