Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Mar 2005 01:36:57 EST
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      Re: FW: Air conditioning keep it or leave it?
Comments: To: martine.boud@VIDEOTRON.CA

In a message dated 3/5/05 6:12:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, martine.boud@VIDEOTRON.CA writes:

> -Engine too small to run an AC ... No but mileage will be lower. > -North of Boston (On the map I use) ... No AC needed > -If you are in hot area like Texas, yes you need it (Unless you are not a > salesman!) > -Value of Westy ... lower but maybe not significant > -Surfer ... don't need it > -Minimum cost to fix $800 and more money to maintain if you don't use it > very often ... like people living in Texas > > To make my decision I need 49-51 (Democratic decision), I still need to > evaluate: > 1.Do I need to replace the complete cabinet or when I remove the plastic > tunnel and heat exchanger I will be able to built a small door and use the > new space for storage > 2.Any space gain inside the small shelving cabinet on the side? > 3.Some WEB site are stating "2.1l engine are too small and overheating too > common to run an AC and even if you have one, it will not be that cold...", > anybody agrees with this statement? > > Maybe we should come up with a scientific formula to make that decision? > Ex. If "men age" = 50 then "AC needed", or house in "Chicago" and Westy > <1985 then "NO AC needed"..... > >

LOL.. :<)

1) i assume by "plastic tunnel and heat exchanger" you mean the evaporator and blower motors.. you can make your upper cabinet into a cabinet once you remove the evap/blowers but then you have a cabinet with no door, and holes drilled in it, etc..its easier to find another cabinet and swap.

2) no space gain in LR cabinet.

3) the waterboxer vanagon motor is perfectly sufficient for running the a/c compressor. a properly functioning rad thermostat and fan resistor etc. will keep you from overheating.. the vans that i owned with functional a/c blew very cold.

chris