Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Mar 2005 06:12:50 EST
From:         Frank Condelli <RAlanen@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: going down for the second time w/ the waterpump
Comments: cc: rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 05/03/2005 8:32:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Well as half time approached(the point that the pump is actually removed from vehicle and replacement begins)I had the old pump out (score 3 points).The waterpump ran the ensuing kickoff back 110 yards (7 points) when I broke off two(2) 10mm screws on the thermistat housing.These are the 2 bolts that hold the trapizoidal flange to the short hose.These bolts are now one quarter inch studs that stick up out of the housing for a 1.9.I used propane heat and all,but no luck(snap! snap!) Is my thermistat housing now toast, or can some trick be pulled out of a hat to fix it? I doubt it. I see my choices as 1, buy a new one from VW.I'll have to mortgage the house to do that,if they are avaliable. 2,go to a junk yard and put in about 5 hours to get a new used one off and engine.I now see those occasional offers for free or cheep cores as good deals.Mind ya,I'm doing this in 35 degree weather w/a cast on my foot.With the pump off, I can see where the old impeller has buzz sawed some metal off the engine case.There is a small amount of metal that remains.I think enough remains to properly direct the coolant.I once heard of jb weld being used to patch up something like this. Does anyone have the low down on this condition? waterpump, 7 me, 3. My team(me) is in the locker room at half time trying to come up w/a new game plan.

Roger, your problems with that waterpump and thermostat housing are common on most all 1.9s. Corrosion of aluminium to steel is better than welding. I have managed to save a few of these thermostat housing and if you look on my _Vanagon Items Forsale_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/sales.htm) , "Used Parts" section you will find a couple 1.9 thermostat housings that I have refurbished all coming with Stainless Steel hardware. Now that said, you may be able to save yours if you want to spend some time on it. Once the bolt heads break off on those long bolts or any of the others for that matter the only thing left to do it drill them out if there is no butt left to grab with a pair of Vise Grips. If you are able to grab on with the Vise Grips, use heat from a propane torch to heat the surrounding aluminium and a good quality penetrating oil. This technique will usually get the bolt out. If not you will have to drill using very good titanium hardened steel drill bits. Stating with a small 1/8" bit to get a straight and true pilot hole then using successively larger bits until you get the old bolt out and not ruin the threads. If the hole has threads you will need a tap to clean out what is left of the bolt. This operation make take several tries with the tap as it loads up and needs to be removed often to clean out the blind hole so that the tap will continue without braking or damaging the threaded hole. If you damage the threads you will need to install a Helicoil to repair the threads. As you can see it can become quite a long process to save one of these thermostat housings so the price I'm asking for the refurbished ones are cheap and does not in any way reflect the time I spent on saving them. But, saving them was the goal not to get rich ! So you can buy a used one that's been refurbished or go at yours and try to save it. Don't know if they are still available new as I've not checked on that item lately at my VW dealer, so that may be another option. Regarding the damage to the engine block where the waterpump impeller has gouged out a path. This should be repaired for proper waterpump operation. This too is a very common sight. I repair this area with JB weld. Clean the damaged area well with a wire brush on a rotary tool, clean with lacquer thinner, apply JB weld so that it will more than cover the damage, let JB Weld cure, sand the surface smooth with an orbital palm sander using 120 grit sand paper. Use a very light coating of Permatex Grey RTV Silicon Sealant for aluminium surfaces on the O-ring when installing the new pump. This should be used on all the aluminium mating surfaces of the water pump and thermostat housing top prevent future corrosion. Use a liberal coating of anti-sieze on all the bolt shafts and threads to prevent their corroding again even if you use stainless steel hardware. Hope this is helpful. I know the pain your going through. The changing of the waterpump and thermostat housing on the 1.9 engine is one of the most horrible jobs there is on a Vanagon. Take your time and do it well and try to not get too frustrated with the ignorant German engineers that designed this bit of Hell for us.

Cheers,

Frank Condelli Almonte, Ontario, Canada _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper camping event, Almonte, ON, June 09 ~ 12, 2005 '87 Westy, '90 Carat & Lionel Trains Member: _Vanagon List_ (http://www.vanagon.com/) , _LiMBO_ (http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/) , _IWCCC_ (http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/) & _CCVWC_ (http://www.ccvwc.ca/) Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Mufflers_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) _Frank Condelli & Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) or http://frankcondelli.com