Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Mar 2005 14:56:36 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: gas prices- a canadian perspective

I have been digging into alcohol for about a week now and finally found some more recent data. Actually only a year old. It was in a canadian article by a guy evaluating alcohol as a historical fuel.

I finally got a clear statement on the corrosion that is mentioned in some alcohol slamming parts. Methyl is the main culprit requiring almost all of the fuel system to be stainless steel. A Canadian company actually was running a test fleet of vehicles on pure methyl for a period of time. Project was shut down because nobody made injectors that would function long enough on methyl. The entire fuel system was stainless steel. There was no mention of the company but I found another reference to what appears to be the same testing and evidently they ran two fleets. One was running pure ethanol as well. Anybody know who it may have been and where I might contact them for reports?

Everything I have been finding is saying that blends of ethanol are far superior to methyl. Using blends above ??? (cannot find the limit anywhere in reliable data) of ethanol starts to play serious havoc with the ECU on OBD engines and that reprogramming is needed. Only reliable engine data I can find is that a ceiling of 15% ethanol and normal operations of 10% ethanol and no more than 5% methyl. From a couple of vehicle mfr. After seeing the corrosion problem with methyl I can see why no more than 5% on it. BTW the 10 and 15% figures match what is available in the pumps in various parts of Canada and the US. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com