Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Mar 2005 18:05:56 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: gas prices- a canadian perspective

Greg Potts wrote:

> Hi Jim, > > I've heard about that study, but have not looked at it in detail. But I > can tell you this: If you want to know about the legitimacy of a study, > look at who produced it and who is quoting it. My bets are that the > study in question was done by the petrochemical industry, and being > quoted by one of their lobby groups. Any study submitted to the press > is designed to support an agenda. That's what they're for. > Amen to that.

> Personally, I would expect that if ethanol actually cost more energy to > produce than it contains, the price would reflect that. And I know that > even *if* current ethanol production techniques are inefficient, that > doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to stay that way as the > demand for ethanol increases. > The comment regarding pricing isn't necessarily true. There are so many economic variables that come into play when determining fuel prices, including subsidies and multiple incentives of one kind or another, that the energy cost of producing something is not typically, or at least proportionally, reflective of what its ultimate price will be. This doesn't even take into account the price elasticity of the demand for the product.

When we were running our plant, we were constantly communicating with other ethanol producers about what different processes worked and which didn't. You are spot on in your assessment that production techniques will get more efficient. In the few years that I was there, we improved the efficiency of the ethanol drying process by 300% over traditional drying processes . . . and this was almost 20 years ago.

> Carbon added to the atmosphere due to transportation technology doesn't > care if it's from corn, sugar beets or dead dinosaurs, the end result > is no different. > Others have addressed this, but it totally depends on the form that the carbon takes, where in the process it occurs, and whether there are processes in place to deal with that carbon in the production cycle. For example, is the CO2 produced in ethanol production used or vented to the atmosphere? Is the carbon released as CO or CO2, or is it released as soot?

A few more random thoughts . . . Marc Perdue