Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:25:04 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Auto Tech Computer disk for Vanagon- Any good?
Comments: To: Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>

That sounds exactly like the Hayes section for the Ford Automatic Tranny .................... Take it to a dealer! They fail to mention that you need to stop by the bank on the way to the dealers.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Collum" <collum@VERIZON.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 8:57 PM Subject: Re: Auto Tech Computer disk for Vanagon- Any good?

> Stan, > > I profiled your '92 Crown Vic .... > > As part of their diagnostic, they wanted me to check and see if it had > shocks or struts and pointed out that some vehicles have struts on the > front and shocks on the rear. Then they told me to take it to a local > dealer and have them check the manual for the vehicle in question to > trouble shoot it further. > > Wanna buy my disk? .... Cheap? > > Mike > > Stan Wilder wrote: > > Well Mike I'm hoping that you'll get some use from the disk. > > Just as a test see what it says about replacing the rear air suspension bags > > on a 1992 Crown Victoria LS Ford. My rear is dropping overnight and wonder > > if I just need new $14.00 solenoid / check valves or need to replace both > > the $75.00 each air bags too. > > Hayes just briefly mentions this procedure with one picture and reference to > > two other pictures that aren't in the Hayes manual. > > So I'm out $20.00 for the Hayes manual and no useful information. > > > > Stan Wilder > > Engine Ceramics > > 214-352-4931 > > www.engineceramics.com > > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "Mike Collum" <collum@VERIZON.NET> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 7:07 PM > > Subject: Re: Auto Tech Computer disk for Vanagon- Any good? > > > > > > > >>Figuring that the price was no more than one would spend on a couple of > >>trips to Starbucks, I decided to download it to see what the fuss was > > > > about. > > > >>It might be somewhat helpful to someone who doesn't even know how to > >>check the oil ... and wants to get some idea about a problem prior to > >>taking it to a mechanic. Beyond that it's pretty lame. > >> > >>I "Profiled" my '85 Vanagon and ran through a number of possible > >>problems. The profiling didn't seem to do much as far as addressing > >>that specific vehicle. It even made reference to a PCV valve, an EGR > >>valve, and a cold start valve and we all know that an '85 doesn't have > >>those things. When diagnosing problems, it asked if my vehicle had > >>certain features that were not available on vanagons. When it told me > >>to check the brake fluid, it directed me to open the hood. > >> > >>It didn't address the Vanagons unique cooling system. After "Profiling" > >>it still had to ask if the vehicle had an electric fan or not. > >> > >>The part about checking spark plugs did little more than have one make > >>sure they had some. It didn't give any information about what > >>coloration (or discoloration) might actually mean. It wants you to > >>"Note" it, though. > >> > >>For each profiled vehicle, there is a place to input what repairs are > >>made, the cost, by whom, warranty period, etc. It has the capability to > >> record 40 repairs. Heck, I do that many on mine during some months > >>... heheheheh. Setting up a simple data base on your own will do a much > >>better job. > >> > >>Bottom line? The Vanagon List is a FAR better resource. I'd say that > >>99% of the list members would find this program totally useless. > >> > >>Mike > >>'84 GL 7 pass > >>'85 GL Westy > >>'00 Beetle > >> > >> > >>-- > >>No virus found in this incoming message. > >>Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > >>Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 266.6.2 - Release Date: 3/4/2005 > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 266.6.2 - Release Date: 3/4/2005 > >

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 266.6.2 - Release Date: 3/4/2005