Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:04:34 -0600
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@MN.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Disabling steering wheel lock
Comments: To: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>

tjhannink@YAHOO.COM wrote:

> Has anyone disabled their steering wheel lock? What is the easiest way to do it? >

There are two basic techniques for disabling the steering wheel lock. The easiest and fastest method to to use enough force to break the column lock mechanism by inserting a screwdriver-type metal shaft into the keyhole and turning it until it becomes loose. Of course, you have then destroyed the entire key lock assembly. (We had to destroy the village in order to save it.)

The other technique is more precise and allows continued use of the key mechanism. The procedure for removing the steering lock assembly is covered in Bentley 94.2 - 94.4. It includes a drilling procedure shown at figure 7. This is necessary to create a hole so that a pin (or a nail) may be inserted to put pressure on a small piece of spring steel so that the lock cylinder can be removed. Once the cylinder is removed, it will be obvious how to disable the locking mechanism by removing the spring that holds it in place.

I have used both techniques, depending upon whether the situation called for either speed or precision. The Bentley method is quite straightforward, and should be completed in 1-2 hours, including reassembly.

Budd Premack 88 Wolfsburg, 86 Syncro Land of Sky-Blue (Still-Frozen) Waters Minneapolis, MN