Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:20:58 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: gas prices- a canadian perspective

On 3/6/05 21:58, "Robert Cardo" <rrecardo@WEBTV.NET> wrote:

> I mean twice the hole diameter size of the jet . > > Alcohol cars run twice the volume of fuel in the same given distance. > > The only parameter that will alter this figure is cubic inches. > > Big cubes, big thirst. > > So if your getting 18 mpg now plan on 8 or 9 on the alcohol. > And that's a pretty close figure. > > This is one of the old myths. Current reports done by valid research centers show a 15 to 25 percent change with injected systems are the maximum variance. And that is using E85. Vehicle mfr state that this is currently the maximum alcohol because of the additives used take up the other 15 percent of the fuel. (several stated that an engine would have to be designed alcohol only to be used for pure alcohol) All are agreed that there are a lot of variables in the mpg figures due to engine designs currently trying to multi (flex) fuel. Some of the techniques used to make the cars flex fueled are kind of interesting. Fuel tanks, hoses, fittings, gaskets, seals, and other small parts changed. This could lead to a future maintenance nightmare of getting the right parts.

Several mfr are currently doing work with E17 to E22 fuels, including a state funded project I found in California that seems to have a Canadian origin that goes back to the VW study that I still havent found. However from the dates I am positive is the 1995 to 1997 work done for the brazilian gvt. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com