Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Mar 2005 20:17:21 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Air Cond Duct Recall - Part question
Comments: To: John <jofofo@BIGVALLEY.NET>

John, the parts are simply two steel plates that measure approx 6X10 inches. Sheetmetal screws came with it to secure the plates to the ceiling transvese steel structural tubes.

The plate kit cost - in 1999 - $6.00.

The local VW dealer did my 88 GL AC tunnel in 1999. There may be time limitations on this, but it helps to have the recall number when talking to a dealer. I had problems with the local dealer until I came up with the number myself so he could reference it. Maybe some other list member still has it and will put it forth for you.

It took them about 3-1/2 hours to do the install.

It the VW Dealer won't do it for you, it's about as easy to simply install a wide external strap over the joints where the tunnel sections connect. Frankly, the VW fix is a PITA when you need to take the tunnel down for some reason. The external straps make it a snap to drop the tunnel in just minutes. With a little care, you can make the straps look factory. Now that mine is done by VW, I recommend going with the straps.

Good Luck,

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver