Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:43:12 -0500
From:         Harold Teer <teerhb@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Why New Mexico?

Hi,

I have been out of town for about a week and returned to a lot of emails. The New Mexico thread caught my eye and I just had to comment. Hope my response is not too late. In 1970, I was in the US army's Vietnamese language school in El Paso, Texas for a year. While I had little money, it was all spent on outdoor activities in New Mexico. Whether it was to ski at Ruidoso or to backpack in the Gila National Forest, a bunch of guys took off every weekend for NM and we loved the state. So much so that when I returned to the states, was discharged, and married, I convinced my bride that our honeymoon should be a backpacking trip to NM and the Gila National Forest. Every man should be so lucky as to have such a wife! She was a city girl (New Orleans) and had never spent any time in the outdoors and had little appreciation for nature. At the time, we lived in Jackson, MS.

We drove through Silver City, through Pinos Altos to the Gila cliff dwellings. Then backpacked in along a river. Even found a hot springs soaking pond along a hillside after a bunch of river crossings. After about a week in the backcountry, we drove to Glenwood Springs and the Catwalks. Then to the old town of Mogollon (I believe National Geographic had a cover picture of this one issue) and drove and camped along a beautiful dirt loop road to Alpine, Arizona.

That trip converted her into a lover of nature, scenery, and the wonders of the outdoors. Do I love NM---you bet I do!

Eight years ago, my wife was instrumental in us purchasing a Westy. While we have taken a few long trips (long to us has been at most 3 weeks--sorry Larry), this summer we plan to take off for out longest trip yet. We hope to leave Virginia during the early part of May and return in July.

Where are we going? For one, back to NM to the Gila Wilderness Area after 31 years. In fact, as we think about where we would like to live when we both retire, NM is one of the places we wish to consider. Then, we plan to drive to Arizona, and head north until we end up in Canada and then head home. As I settle on a more general route, I might ask for suggestions and we hope to run into some of you in camping areas along the way.

Anyway, I am thankful I found NM. In it, my wife and I both developed a great love for the beauty of nature and the outdoors.

Now, lets think spring and look forward to many great trips in our Vanagons.

Harold >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harold Teer Harrisonburg, VA teerhb@hotmail.com '91 Westy <Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:58:00 -0800 <From: Leon <korkwood@WSHOST.NET> <Subject: Re: Stay out of New Mexico

<Was wathing this amusing thread,nice to see finaly someone who actualy <been to NM, not drive-thru variety.I may add Pinos Altos, <Mogollon,Mesilla in Las Cruces,Organ Mts, Alamogordo, White Sands NP, <Carlsbad Caverns, Ruidoso mountains and bunch more for those <who care to know <Leon <85 Subwagen