Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:50:23 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Parts Compatability
Comments: To: Michael Edwards <medwards1@TRIAD.RR.COM>

Michael,

Congratulations on the ownership of your new steed! and welcome to "The List"!!

You are in for lots of mixed blessings - much happiness and heartache - glory and aggravation.

My daily driver is an 88 GL model. I wouldn't have anything else - except perhaps the same year with an auto tranny instead of my current manual tranny. All that clutching gets me....... bad knees. Other than that - the V-gons are the only vehicle for me.

Keep in mind that your machine is 18 years old. You are going to have the maintenance problems of an 18 year old vehicle. Not those of a new machine off the lot or even a good clean low mileage vehicle less than 5 years old. It's 18 years old, and there are many things you will face with your 87 Westy.

Bear in mind, that if you take maintenance seriously, and preventative maintenance even more seriously, you will get to very serious trouble-free usage from your Westy and it will give you an enormous amount of pleasure.

Vanagons remind me very much of airplanes (I'm an old airplane mechanic). The REQUIRE continuous, ongoing maintenance to get good service out of them. All early Volkswagons - the old busses, the old beetles, all the way up through the end of the Vanagon production, seemed to have been designed to be imminently maintainable by the home mechanic. Those outside that group are to me a PITA.

Probably in the beginning as you begin to use this vehicle all the obviously neglected things will come to the fore and will have to be dealt with. But once done, you should get a lot of mileage before having to tend to them again.

There are some immediate things that must be done to protect your investment however.

Vanagon based machines are notorious for going up in flame due to an engine fire.

Unless you know absolutely for certain without a doubt in your mind EXACTLY when the fuel system hoses were replaced, DO IT NOW!!!!!!!

Don't wait. Park the machine, order the high pressure fuel line and injector hose kit, install them, test, and then and only then, allow it out of your driveway. I can't emphasize this enough.

After the fuel line issue is resolved, take care of the fluids in the vehicle. Change the tranny fluid (if manual use Redline MT 90), change the oil and install a Mann or Mahle filter (get from one of our list vendors) and no other. Why? The internal pressure relief valve spring is stronger than most, better holds oil pressure in the engine oil galleries when the engine is shut down, and aids significantly in reducing the incidence of " Wasserboxer valve lifter clatter syndrome" which is caused by a lifter going flat when the vehicle is parked and the engine is not run for a while. Use a good Dino multi grade oil of 20W50wt or a Synthetic like Mobil One 15W50. I much prefer the latter, and find that I burn less oil using the synthetic. I also find that I use less oil by leaving the oil level at half mast instead of up to the full mark. Seems to blow it out somewhere if I fill to the mark, then when its down to half way, it stabilizes.

Bleed your brakes. Brake fluid is notorious for being hygroscopic, and absorbs moisture, which condenses into droplets of water in the fluid. This causes corrosion of internal parts.

On the manual tranny version, the clutch system and the brake system share a common fluid reservoir. The reservoir is located in front of the driver seat, behind the instruments in the dash pod. There is a hatch cover on top that lifts off. Sitting in the driver seat, you can reach forward, and feel the detents for the fingers in the forward side of the cover (windshield side) Lift up and it should pop right off. Lots of goodies in there. Use ONLY DOT-4 brake fluid in there. It is designed to withstand a higher heat, plus has some other properties essential to Vanagons. If you have a manual tranny, bleed the clutch system first, then the rear brakes, then the front brakes. The front brakes can be bled with out having to get under the vehicle, just by turning the wheels in the right direction. While you are there, check for brake lines that might be rubbing. Especially on the right front wheel.

Coolant should be changed out every two years at least. If you are big on driving a lot, you might want to change it more often. . WBX engines have a head corrosion problem and it's important to keep good coolant in the machine to help keep corrosion retarded. ******** The fuel hose issue is an absolute. Something that if not done immediately could result in your losing the Westy. The fluids are essentials, but the world won't come to an end if it gets put off until tomorrow, but the sooner the better because it will immediately begin increasing the longevity of your vehicle, work towards preventing any unscheduled and inconvenient (usually expensive) breakdowns and get you onto a routine of maintenance.

Next comes the CV's. If you don't know the history, you need to pull the CV's and service them. The sooner the better. Could save you some bucks if you do it now. This is not a hard task but takes a little time. For a first timer give yourself a day. For someone who has done it before, the whole thing can be done in about 3 hours, provided all the retaining bolts come out the first try. If a CV must be replaced on the shaft, it is an easy do. A pair of snap ring pliers and a steel or brass "Drift" - a 3/8 in dia steel bar about 10 inches long, and a hammer, is all you need to remove the CV bearing from the shaft. Once removed, grease the new one, slide onto the shaft, seat it, and install the snap ring, slip the rubber boot ring over the outside of the CV race and you are done. Next reinstall the axle and you are home free.

To paraphrase a comment made by Sean Connery - "I have been to the CV Circus many times........!"

It's an easy do!

I think that covers most things that are "must do's" to get you on the road safely. Other things can be done as they arise.

Good luck with your new machine

Enjoy,

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver Chelsea, AL