Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:55:27 -0800
From:         Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Wheel bearings, and advice
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

Hi

Here's my humble opinion:

Buy the VW tool (about $20) 1/2" drive and a 3 lb sledge this will help you put it back on.

Getting it off: drive up to you local truck repair place with cotter pin removed and the hubcap off. Ask one of the mechanics if he wouldn't mind using his 3/4" drive air impact drive to loosen the nut. Total job if you drive up close to the doors takes about 45 seconds. When you ask the question and add in the thank you's it will probably take less than 3 minutes. Why?

I have tried 3/4" drive with an 8 ft cheater bar jumping on it while holding the front passenger door (window rolled down) and it still wouldn't loosen then I tried the putting it on the jack and lifted the van with the breaker bar and I added heat while the van was in the air and it still wouldn't let go. An air 3/4" drive impact wrench works great and the job was so small that they didn't charge me a thing. Back in the olden day I would have left a 6 pack but these days I should have left a batch of sprouts...

Jere