Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 2005 08:20:22 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Comments: To: Jere Hawn <jghawn@EARTHLINK.NET>

Well, An alternative to the big breaker bar and the calculations is to use a Sweeney Wrench - a geared torquing device that multiplies force. No levers involved. Has pull chains that hang down in lieu of having to pull a handle. Sort of like an overhead hoist. A gearbox mounts over the nut on the shaft. Pulling the chains drives the gearbox. Max capacity on our shop Sweeney Wrench was like 8,000 ft lbs. Mount, pull the chains, nut torqued, problem solved.

BTW, our shop Sweeney Wrench was used to torque the nut on the end of the crankshaft of an aircraft engine to hold the propeller on. As best I remember (and it was along time ago) torque applied was somewhere around 2500 ft lbs.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver