Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:15:57 -0500
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Vanagons are J*NK
Comments: To: Andrew Fox <afox@cnr.colostate.edu>

Earlier Andrew Fox at afox@CNR.COLOSTATE.EDU wrote:

> You're right Chris i do need to chill out, just thinking about vanagons > makes me mad as hell. I hate them, i think they are a useless waste of > money and time and are unsafe and bad for the environment. I wish i > did'nt feel that way but I do. I firmly believe my feelings are based on > facts though. I dont have any problem with owning a vanagon as a car > collector, they are very fun cars though as long as you can be honest > about its shortcomings especially when addressing newbies. Your beliefs are perhaps based on your experiences. BUT what influenced those? Yes, you are allowed your opinions and your beliefs. Many of us won't agree. Your apparent inability to maintain your vehicle is an extension of your beliefs, attitudes and opinions. In my many years of van ownership I have found many people who can't understand my passion for them... they don't subscribe to my tenants nor in most areas, my way of life. I don't ask them to. Time behind the windshield is paid for by time in the garage. Otherwise it's time on the side of the road. It's called "Vanagon List" because we appreciate our VANAGONS. TY for posting your van FS here. Maybe one of us will take this lemon off your hands soon. But don't expect much empathy from this group. As for you, Mr. Fox, See you later and have a nice life.

So in regard to the late of this List Mr. Fox' "addressing newbies" comment, I offer the following to any Vanagon newbie:

First go to Vanagon.com and read everything on it. Buy a manual or two and browse through them. Get to know your van. Search the archives for answers and THEN post questions to the List. Be prepared to take care of deferred maintenance that the PO did not do. If you do the above and choose not to do your own work, at least you can talk to your mechanic with some certainty about any signs/symptoms. And as many have posted before...learn to listen to your vehicle. Most failures are gradual. Turn the radio down a little and hear what the van is saying.

Owning and using and enjoying a Vanagon, and more particularly a Westy, requires a certain amount of positive approach and a near Pollyanna attitude. Recent negative comments by the Windy City Curmudgeon, Terry- Ricky, notwithstanding, most of do have positive experiences with our vans. And more importantly, nearly every Vanagoneer that I have met has lead to a positive experience. I try to focus on the good. Keep on the Sunny Side. That's my $.02 worth and that's that. -- Stephen Chillicothe OH