Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:19:16 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Pump Cavitating??
Comments: To: Aaron <lists@MYCOMMUNITYNET.NET>

Do you have the heater underneath the van? There is a t in the fuel line that sometimes develops a leak on the heater side line.

Then check the clamping on your lines. Take the fuel cap off and see if you get the same result.

Then try more fuel in the tank just to be sure it is not that.

Or try all at once.

Also a badly clogged filter can sound like a cavitating pump. On 3/10/05 9:45, "Aaron" <lists@MYCOMMUNITYNET.NET> wrote: > Hello all. > > I've just finished a subaru transplant. In the process of doing > everything else, I replaced all of the lines on top of the tank and to > the fuel pump. > > Now I've got the engine in and running, but the fuel pump seems to draw > in air from somewhere. It makes sounds like it is cavitating which it > did not do before. Currently I haven't figured it out, but I am > guessing air is coming in at the little plastic fuel filter unless it > is coming from the tank. I've verified that my pump is ok. If I stick > a 1/2" hose from the pump directly to a gas can, it works like a charm > but it pulls it out (and back into the gas tank) so fast I can only run > it for 30 seconds. > > Question 1) > Is there a way that the source of the air could be the line coming from > the fuel tank (with 4 gallons in the tank)? The van in sitting level. > > Question 2) > What is the best way to stop air from getting sucked in? I've tried > clamps, double clamps and a bunch of other things. I spent hours trying > to figure this out and still am not any closer. > > I've considered it might be a crack in the fuel filter. I can't blow > air through it though. I noticed that the plastic is very pliable and > the hose clamp can cause deformation of the nipple, causing air to be > drawn in. I tried for a long time to figure it out and can't. I blew > air back into the tank to see if there was a blockage....nope. > > So any ideas of how to best troubleshoot/fix this? Sometimes it's the > little things that get me!!!! > > Thanks! > Aaron > >

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com