Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:18:56 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: chill out andy!! LOL..:<) Re: '86 full Westy for
              sale...$2000...
Comments: To: Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

Mark spoke....(how was the maple sirop bro?)

little story here (Larry, Jim, Frank, my brother in law and many others can relate)

2 week ago im met a couple in FL in one of those new American westy style conversion van made in Canada. About 60k$.... End of story!

We are poor! my customers are poor people, my westy friends are poor... even if per some "standard" they look expensive, they are not! they are cheap, old, usefull, cool and very well design camper for the money... if i had money, i would maybe have a 23 windows bus to show off and a modern camper..(Still, i have no idea of which one, ha ha), maybe a Eurovan V6, or that cool Toyota...or whatever... So, what can you get for 5-15K$....????

-A tent trailer (i have no car to pull this one, to long to put up, and put down) -A pick-up camper, i don't have a 20k pick-up truck -A tent, well, that is an cheap and wet option.. -Those very small and cool camper trailer... good option, but am too tall!!! -An old American van....good option, but when finish as a camper, they will be close $$$ to a Westy...have no resell value, engine are as expensive to fix (i have my own story on that, a couple from Oregon...4000$ repair in AZ)

So tell me....what are my option!

My end of the story: 7 years ago or so my girl told me; you have 2 choice Ben for vacation, we go to Europe for 2 months.... or we buy a Westy and travel west! A westy, what the heck is that???? i did my research...and my conclusion was...NO, let's buy an cheap old Econoline Van and convert it to a camper for about 5-8k, i read to many horror storie's about westy...i didn't want any trouble in my vacation (yea, like if old american van a trouble free)....well, after a wile, looking for those old American Econoline... i looked at what would become my 87GL...shit ho men, i was so impress by the interior design that we baught it, EVEN IF, 11k was way to much for our cheap budjet at the time... + compare to my European trip, the Westy adventure was also a new gadget to play with.... my own little house on wheel... Wile touring in San Francisco city, i was looking in my rear view miror....and i told myself...men, am sleeping, cooking, reading in the back of this cool little van.... and i can park anywhere like a normal car.... You all know the rest of my westy story

The next picture mean's a lot to me: http://www.benplace.com/baja/calif005.JPG West coast, California...one of my dream... friends....many new friends, this is where i met you Mark, yeap, working under my van...he he he... I CANNOT IMAGINE 3 AMERICAN ECONOLINE(OR ANY OTHER VEHICULES FOR THAT MATTER) GETTING TOGETHER....

Westy's are fun.... they are a love and hate relationship...

Ben http://www.benplace.com/travel1.htm