Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:46:42 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Vngns ARE junk! . . . and Gas Guzzlers to Boot
Comments: To: THX0001@AOL.COM

On 3/11/05 8:52, "George Goff" <THX0001@AOL.COM> wrote:

> << The E150 is very lush and nice, has about the same useful room as the > Vngn, gets 12 13 MPG on the highway and has been mostly trouble free. >> > > Perhaps there has been a quantum leap in van design recently. This past > summer I put about 1400 miles through the Northeast in a rental Chebbie cargo > van. > I think it was a 2500 series and I think it had a V-6. It was whatever

There has been massive leaps. The mpg first quoted is from over 10 years ago. They are now routinely in the 18 to 20 mpg range now. One big thing to look out for on campers based on that vehicle base is what engine is in them. They actually had some carburated vehicles into the 90s. The gas milage is massively less on them.

Almost every van in the 80s was lucky to break 16 mpg. In the early 80s most were pushing 18 to 22 range with 18 being absolutely low end. Mid 90s and it was hard to find a van that wasn¹t getting at least 18 mpg.

Also the EPA has finally admitted that their mileage claims posted on vehicles of current years and going back about 10 years are not very reliable. They assume not enough stops for city driving, do not make estimations for a zone between city and highway, and assume a way to low speed at highway. Honda was one of the companies that did some research on it when they were told what their epa miles were for their hybrids. Honda was refusing to use them because they were way to high. Their own testing showed as much as 20 percent overstated. Testing done by some independants say you get a better estimation of gas mileage if you take 2 mpg off of the highway and 2 mpg off of the city and redo the equations for the real avg. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com