Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:26:29 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Vanagons are Junk

I have never owned a new car and I don't feel less fortunate for it.

A lot of people drive used cars , and older ones often are cheaper to own due to taxes, smog or emissions requirements. It fits your budget, your needs. You have a thing about thrift. Or you spend 25,000 on a Syncro Westy.

When you drive by used car lots don't you feel fortunate to have a unique vehicle you rarely see in these lots? When do you see a Syncro Westy in a used car lot full of junky old has been cars?

Almost every time I stop at a used car lot to look at a Westy it's trashed. Which is to say that the nice ones that haven't ended up as junk are being driven or sold on the curbstone. Which brings up my subject: Curbstoners.

You might think at first I mean people who smake crock on sidewalks. No, as defined by the State of Washington, these are unlicenced bearded dealers hawking their questionable autos in places other than car lots.

The State claims this to be very risky! Well, your'er taking the same risk buddy boy just as much in those car lots- where unwanted cars end up.

Now there are some curbstoned cars and their curbstoned sellers you should look out for.

But most sellers should look out for us- the savvy Vanagon buyer.

If you know your Vanagon pretty well as I do than there's not much a seller can hide. You can take it in to a mechanic for a buyers inspection too.

But you know what you are looking for. A lot of the things the average car buyer has to worry about is not going to affect the Vanagon buyer much.

Why, well, for one, if they have been in a major accident , the chances of it ever going back on the road are slim.

You are'nt going to be too worried about a rolled back ododmeter. Your not going to buy it without a title. You aren't going to meet the seller at a place other than his residence or place of business. And, you won't be too worried if he asks for cash.

If you really know how to look, you can find most problems within an hour or a mechanic can. So, there's not a whole lot of worry with buying a vanagon.

That comes after you buy it!

Sellers of junk Vanagons beware!

Robert

1982 Westfalia