Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:11:37 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Murphy's Law, Wilder's Law

The original observations several years ago about the trials and tribulations I was having with my 83 Westy brought forth the term Paranoid Maintenance. It seems I did what many other list members did in about the same order. 1) Bought a Westy and 90 days later blew an engine. Running 85 MPH against a headwind. 2) Caught the engine on fire. While testing various fuel injectors etc. 3) Blew a tranny. (Lost ability to shift out of 4th gear unless the engine was off. Drove 300 miles on Interstate 30 and got back home on the Interstate with only limited red lights.) Items 4 through about 200 consisted of speedometer replacement, brakes, tires, brake lines, all wheel bearings, brake rotors and brake drums, pop-top seal, sink water pump, sink faucet, upgraded radio and speakers, installed oil temp / cht / oil pres gauges, installed oil cooler and the list continues. Along with the replacement of clutch slave and master cylinders and several wheel cylinders and calipers. Although I owned and sold lots of Westy I mostly drove my 83 out to camping excursions. That little formula I presented years ago is and was always just a tongue in cheek analysis to let people know what they were in for with their VW Bus / Westy or Syncro. Many times it rings true and sometimes a Vanagon escapes from an owner before it has hit rock bottom. The Vanagon market varies greatly in the quality of vehicles available on the East Coast Vs the West Coast and I'll be looking forward to visiting Portland Oregon and Seattle Area where it's said "You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Vanagon, Bus or Syncro". I'm saving my dead cats for that day and will be the total Vanagon experience for me.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com