Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:33:33 -0600
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Digijet O2 Sensor Wiring Issue

'85, 1.9l Digijet, Automatic.

While trying to get Roland ready for the state emissions check I replaced the O2 sensor. I tried setting the AFM per the instructions posted a few weeks ago and all the readings were good - O2 staying between .4 and .5 at idle reading with a multi-meter with the sensor disconnected from the system. The engine ran like a champ until I plugged the sensor back in and tried to zip off to the test station -- suddenly it has no power off idle and the O2 readings on my digitool are going negative at the same time. Figuring it must be a short in the fat green wire i disconnected the ECU and pulled the cover off the plug. With one probe in pin 5 and the other in the female connector on the wire it reads 0 resistance and no amount of bending, twisting and turning the green wire changes that - seems like that should cause the resistance to increase if there is a short. The shielding checks out with a big fat 0 and between the shielding and the conductor I get an infinite reading probing both ends in various combinations. There is a white wire spliced to the green that runs to pin 6. With the probe in pin 6 and the green female I get infinite resistance. Same with the probes in 5 and 6, 5 and the splice, and 6 and the splice.

From all this poking around I believe that the shielded green wire is just fine and the white wire to pin 6 splice is bad. Am I right or do I need more beer? (I'll have a beer anyway) What is the best way to fix this? I'm thinking remove the insulation from the splice, solder it then wrap it up good.

Chuck '85 Wolfsburg Westy - 'Roland the Road Buffalo'