Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Mar 2005 19:04:29 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vngns ARE junk! Wilder's Law
Comments: To: Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>

I'm not sure he needed a new engine in the first place. Why was it done? The compression readings he posted in Aug 2002 seemed to be what prompted the whole engine saga. Given how far and how often Larry ended up limping around the country on crippled rebuilt motors it certainly seems possible to me that he might have been better off sticking with the original until it died, assuming it even did. If he was willing to limp the high dollar motors around so often, why not just limp the original until it died?

There were other breakdowns that occurred all too soon after he had replaced parts. Wheel bearings come to mind. Why did he get all new ones? Then a couple thousand miles later he has a failure. Was there even a failure to start with or was the full replacement another preemptive effort gone bad?

Over many years on this and other VW van lists there have been stories from people who spent great sums on their Vanagon getting ready for a big trip. The Caravana trip list comes to mind. These folks were going to the tip of South America and back in a group of VW vans. Some members replaced a lot of expensive things before the trip and still had those same things break down early on. Perhaps there is something to be learned from this.

The syrup was good, Ben, thanks!

Mark